Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» New off road riding book.
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:26 am by cbr-rider

» On the 'D'-fence: Possible deals with fantasy implications
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm by lavivi

» Electrical problems with CBR F2
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 6:12 am by cbr-rider

» Yamaha xj 650 project
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 pm by honda cbr 600 f2

» 09 yamaha r6?
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:02 am by honda cbr 600 f2

» Four-Stroke Motocross and Off-Road Performance Handbook by Eric Gorr and Kevin Cameron
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 am by cbr-rider

» 365 MOTORCYCLES YOU MUST RIDE.
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:34 am by cbr-rider

» custom carbon fiber parts!
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:16 am by cbr-rider

» what mods do you have?
Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm by mafiafran

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jetstream01
Jetstream01

Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly   Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 7:46 am

Hah you guys crack me up. Anyways yeah I agree with Bottlecape on this one in some ways. I hate it when things are wrapped or vinyled to look like carbon fiber when they are in fact not actually made of it. That's so dumb. I like CBR's application of it, as it does serve a purpose. However, I do actually like the look of carbon fiber, unlike you Bottlecape. I agree that if it is used to make a tank or a bike frame or whatever, it should be painted. It can be painted and sanded easily like fiberglass so why not?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/jetstream01
bottlecape30
bottlecape30

PostSubject: Re: Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly   Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 12:30 pm

yeah i wouldn't recommend you leave me alone with that thing who knows what might happen Laughing Basketball
Back to top Go down
cbr-rider
administrator
administrator
cbr-rider

PostSubject: Re: Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly   Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 12:27 pm

thanks for the complements! yeah that fake vinyl crap is so stupid ! Razz anyways yeah if you come over or what ever i would gladly take the pipe off to show you how ridiculously light it is! but i don't want any touching or stroking cheers just kidding
Back to top Go down
http://sportbiketalk.com
bottlecape30
bottlecape30

PostSubject: Re: Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly   Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 12:03 pm

yeah but i thought your application was well done and tasteful.

The carbon exhaust is lighter then the steel unit i'm sure. There for it has function, other then looks

what i'm talking about is wraping your fork legs or tank in carbon so it looks like a light weight high performance part, when in fact it is not.

It is kind of like that vinyl stuff that has the weave look but is just printed and sticky back. I can't stand that shit.... oops should i reperimand my self? are we aloud to swear on here?
Back to top Go down
cbr-rider
administrator
administrator
cbr-rider

PostSubject: Re: Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly   Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 12:16 am

yes i agree Smile carbon fiber isn't really that great looking...however on motorcycles i think it looks pretty cool not the checker board pattern i like the 2X2 weeve, only when its in small portions though and chrome looks good as well....on motorcycles!!..but lets talk about cars, carbon fiber looks very ( and i can't stress it enough ) STUPID! on cars...they put way to much of it on.....all the two things i put on my bike a made of carbon fiber, oops three but carbon exhaust are awesome. anyway besides the pipe there only there cause the clamp gets scratched ALL THE TIME from keys, i figure maybe i'll add a little flare, and from what i payed for on the sheet of carbon fiber, one of those clamp covers cost, about $30 thats how much i payed for the sheet of it, most of them aren't even real carbon fiber. adding to that i have quite a bit left over. oh i was telling bottlecape this story a carbon cover for the the r1 is 129.99......??? stupid to pay when its only there to protect from scratches!
Back to top Go down
http://sportbiketalk.com
bottlecape30
bottlecape30

PostSubject: Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly   Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Carbonfiber is everywhere these days, especally in the automotive aftermarket. I have even been sucked into making parts out of it just for the looks, and building parts for light weight and strength. I prefer the later.

The real reason we see so much of it is because the high end bikes and race companies use it for its high strength to weight ratio. This high ratio and dampaning ablity make carbon a great choice for many parts.

The bad is that carbonfiber is very britle, and hard to repair. Carbonfiber unlike steel, fiberglass, aluminum, and kevlar will break like glass when it is over stressed. This makes it very hard to repair, infact it is near impossible, and if it can be done expet to pay through the nose and it won't look that great.

The ugly well i just think it is hidous. It looks like black tweed or a checker board.

I say use carbonfiber to lighten things up or to strengthen a part.
and if you do use it paint it. I really think of it as no different then chrome accents on a Harley.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly   Carbonfiber.  The good, the bad, the ugly Empty

Back to top Go down

Carbonfiber. The good, the bad, the ugly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sport Bike chat :: Bike talk of all kinds-
Jump to: