Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» New off road riding book.
muffler mods EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:26 am by cbr-rider

» On the 'D'-fence: Possible deals with fantasy implications
muffler mods EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm by lavivi

» Electrical problems with CBR F2
muffler mods EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 6:12 am by cbr-rider

» Yamaha xj 650 project
muffler mods EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 pm by honda cbr 600 f2

» 09 yamaha r6?
muffler mods EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:02 am by honda cbr 600 f2

» Four-Stroke Motocross and Off-Road Performance Handbook by Eric Gorr and Kevin Cameron
muffler mods EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 am by cbr-rider

» 365 MOTORCYCLES YOU MUST RIDE.
muffler mods EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:34 am by cbr-rider

» custom carbon fiber parts!
muffler mods EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:16 am by cbr-rider

» what mods do you have?
muffler mods EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm by mafiafran

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

muffler mods

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cbr-rider
administrator
administrator
cbr-rider

muffler mods Empty
PostSubject: muffler mods   muffler mods EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 11:59 am

typed this out for someone thought i would post it here.

muffler/pipe baffle mods

In this how article I will show you how to remove baffles, mod mufflers, or slip on exhaust systems. First there are many different motorcycle exhausts systems to be aware of. There are different pipes for optimum performance for there specific motorcycles. But mainly we will be focusing on sport bike exhausts, now days the systems have increased hp then ever before, and adding a after market system increases hp far more. Better motorcycle exhausts remain in there heat absorption and lightness and the right amount of pressure produced , for better performance and reliability.

Okay before you do anything, lets talk about the motorcycle exhaust that is currently on your bike, is it a under tail system? Or in a regular position (on the side) ? It really does not matter, so don't worry,just as long as it can be removed. so how do we mod these pipes. There are many stock systems that have rivets, these rivets are permanently holding the pipe together, some have bolts, that can can be taken off to expose the inner core of the pipe or baffle easily. Most of us are aware of how to unscrew a bolt? So lets talk about the rivets, the only way to disassemble a pipe with rivets is to drill them out, in which the rivets are no longer holding the piece back together, when doing this, make sure all rivets still have some attainability, by only drilling enough so that they can still be used, but at the same time, drilled enough so it can be pulled apart, however you may need to purchase some . Once this step is reached you can start to disassemble! Remember to keep your parts in order! Now that we have our pipe in pieces, lets get to the baffle.

Okay now we can get started! The baffle is made of small fiberglass pieces! So its highly recommended that gloves are used. Use your judgment on how much you want to take out, it works like this, the more fiber glass packing taken out, will reduce the amount of back pressure, be aware of how much you take out, try about three to four thin top layers, for a good amount of back pressure, it may, and most likely differ but 3 to four is about a quarter of the packing. if you are looking to have racing type exhaust most baffle to all should be removed this will be extremely loud, and would have decreased any or all pressure given off. This is popular in most GP racing bikes, but not practical and should not be used on puplic roads. But to increase hp the core baffle cylinder can be opened up as well, giving it a louder, deeper tone which is common. Now that you have decided what fits your needs in baffle adjustments try a test run by starting your bike up with the pipe placed over your expansion chambers or ( mid pipe ) if the pipe is to loud, add some more fiber glass packing in again until it fits your needs.

Now we put are pipe back on! if you have used rivets to do this, put your knew ones in, or add the originals back on and bend the tapered ends back in/out to secure the pipe together, your bike should now feel a little better and sound nicer as well if you do not like the results, try adding more are less packing in until you are satisfied.
Back to top Go down
http://sportbiketalk.com
Jetstream01
Jetstream01

muffler mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: muffler mods   muffler mods EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 6:49 am

Well done Alex! Just gotta add you may need to get a rivet gun cause I've never seen anyone able to reuse a drilled out rivet!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/jetstream01
cbr-rider
administrator
administrator
cbr-rider

muffler mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: muffler mods   muffler mods EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 7:50 am

i have heard one guy with a older hurricane reuse his rivets on a muzzy pipe...i would buy them just to be safe...and smart Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://sportbiketalk.com
bottlecape30
bottlecape30

muffler mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: muffler mods   muffler mods EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Reusing old rivets? why? they are dirt cheap.
although if you are pulling it apart often screws might be nicer, just remember to use locktight so they don't rattle loose
Back to top Go down
Jetstream01
Jetstream01

muffler mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: muffler mods   muffler mods EmptyTue May 05, 2009 7:45 am

Man bottlecape you bring up a good point that I didn't think of. Anything besides rivets (or MAYBE really tightly glued bolts) would definitely rattle out. I've had a lot of my bodywork bolts and even one on the gas cap vibrate out since I finished my bike build!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/jetstream01
Sponsored content

muffler mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: muffler mods   muffler mods Empty

Back to top Go down

muffler mods
Page 1 of 1